For those of you who aren’t fellow Elon-ites, Sorority Recruitment begins tomorrow (it used to be called “rush”). Basically, it’s a week of chaotic fun where hundreds of lovely women go into sorority houses, meet the sisters in each house, and get to know each organization. At the end of the week, on Bid Day, those lovely women may receive a “bid,” or an invitation to join one of the sororities.
Let me first dispel a few myths: recruitment isn’t a popularity contest. It isn’t who has the most expensive clothes or the most loaded parents. It’s not about finding an organization so you can “pay for friends” (which if, by the way, were true, I’m not paying near enough)…it’s about finding a home on campus. (If you’re a hater, you’re entitled to your opinion. However, get to know a “sorority girl” or two. Let us surprise you :))
In my four years of college, there was not a week that was as nerve-wracking and exciting as the week of recruitment my freshman year. It was one of the best experiences I’ve had in terms of “putting myself out there.” I literally met hundreds of people throughout the week, including women in Sigma Kappa who went on to completely change my college experience, which in turn, changed my life.
I don’t believe for a minute that you must be a sorority member to have a meaningful college experience. Some of my best friends are unaffiliated (not Greek). However, I am blessed to say that Sigma Kappa has changed me for the better and shaped my life in more ways than one.
I met my best friend, I’m a better friend, I’m more compassionate, more understanding, less judgmental…I’ve learned what it means to truly celebrate the lives of others. I’ve met sisters who encourage me in my faith, others who give me sound relationship advice, and still others who help me decide what to wear when I’m lost in my closet. I’ve traveled and met up with sisters in various cities around the world. Sigma Kappa has been a wonderful experience and my heart smiles knowing that I will keep in touch with my sisters for the rest of my life!
So here we are, the night before recruitment 2013. Countless hours have gone into careful planning for both sisters and the women going through it. Both sides are full of nervous energy and excitement. We’re all “strapping on our seat belts,” because this week is about to be crazy!
Here’s what I’m doing to get ready for tomorrow. Join me?
- Take a long, hot shower tonight. Breathe in the steam. (Pop a shower soother in there?) Shave your legs (or don’t), wash your face, relax.
- Call your best friend. Talk about life. Tell her why you love her, let yourself receive love.
- Repeat this: “I am enough.” Be yourself this week. Who you are is simply perfect!
- Relax about your outfits. Promise you’ll look great.
- Get in bed early. Since you probably won’t be able to sleep right away (ahh, the butterflies!), turn on your favorite movie, snuggle up, and enjoy it.
- Drink a lot of water. You’ll be up and about all day, so you’ll need some Grade A H20 in your system. Hydrate tonight & feel great tomorrow!
- Read this. Then read it again. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” ~Jeremiah 29:11 God has you, girlfriend! I can promise you that. No matter what happens.
- Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Say a prayer. Listen to an uplifting song. Journal your little heart out.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”